First Book Wants You!
We are looking for passionate, entrepreneurial people who want to make a difference in their community. Help us get books to kids who need them most.
Our all-volunteer team draws it members from area nonprofits, agencies, businesses, and the community. We meet in-person one evening a month and use Google Groups to collaborate on fundraising activities and to review applications for book grants.
Each of us typically focuses on one or two areas including event planning, communications and publicity, engaging with our book recipients, and seeking funding or in-kind donations from local organizations. Our largest annual event is Wine-ing for Literacy, a wine tasting and silent auction.
Do you have an area of expertise to share? A skill set you would like to develop? A sizable network of friends or colleagues in the tri-county area? Time to fill following your retirement? Unbridled enthusiasm about children’s literacy? Whatever you have to offer, we want to hear from you!
If you are interested in volunteering with First Book Portland, please use our contact form or email email@example.com. We will provide you with an application.
Seeking Website & Social Media Manager – September 2021
First Book Portland is searching for a volunteer to join our team as our Website and Social Media Manager.* We are seeking a creative person who wants to make a positive difference with their graphic design skills, communication style, and love of helping others.
You will be expected to:
This role typically requires 4-5 hours per month and up to 8-10 hours in the month before our annual fundraising event, typically in October. Nearly all of these tasks can be performed remotely. (First Book Portland is carefully watching Covid-19 protocols and has been meeting via Zoom.)
- Attend monthly board meetings with other volunteer board members (usually 1 hour)
- Participate in fundraising events hosted by First Book Portland (typically 3-4 per year)
- Maintain First Book Portland’s web presence (currently hosted on WordPress) with current events and activities
- Regularly create, post content to, and monitor First Book Portland’s Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts
- Work with other board members to develop social media campaigns to raise funds, increase awareness, and encourage participation in First Book Portland events
- Create graphics for use on our website, social media, in our newsletter,** and other publicity materials
- Add to an existing repository of links, images, and flyers
- Participate in the annual review and selection of First Book Portland’s book grant recipients
If you are interested, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. We can’t wait to hear from you!
*We are willing to divide these duties into two positions.
**The First Book Portland newsletter is maintained by a different volunteer.