First Book Portland provides new books to children through eligible community organizations that serve children from low-income households, including preschool, after-school, tutoring or mentoring, and family support programs.
First Book does not provide direct financial support, collect used books for redistribution, or provide books to individuals or book drives. Funds are allocated solely for the purchase of books; community organizations who receive these awards select the books of their choice from the First Book Marketplace.
All programs requesting books from First Book Portland must meet the following criteria:
- Be located in Multnomah, Washington, or Clackamas county
- Serve a population where at least 80% of participants are from low-income homes
- Incorporate books received from First Book into structured program activities
- Ensure that each book becomes the personal property of the child who receives it
- Prohibit discrimination against individuals based on race, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, or physical or mental disabilities
If your organization meets our criteria, your first step is to register with First Book. By registering, you’re giving us the information necessary to ensure that the books are reaching the children in greatest need.
Next, contact us directly by using our contact form or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. When you write to us for the first time, please include the First Book ID number you received when you completed your online registration.
Lastly, complete and submit our application to receive books.
In the past few years, we have awarded book grants to the following groups: